Car Accident Cases and Insurance Companies
Dealing with insurance companies in a car accident case can be a challenge when you’re suffering from serious injury. What should you say? What about the other driver’s insurance company? Should you discuss the accident with the other driver’s insurance company? People often have lots of questions. We have included some of the most frequently asked questions here.
What do most Texas car insurance company policies cover?
While policy coverage varies, the Texas Department of Insurance states that most policies cover:
- Accidents when driving in other states and Canada
- Attorney’s fees if sued as a result of an accident
- Vehicle repair paid by the at-fault driver’s insurance
- Medical and funeral bills to the other driver and passengers covered by the at-fault driver’s insurance company
- Accident victims’ lost wages due to accident injury
What rights do you have against unjust treatment by an insurance company?
It is against the law for an insurance company to do the following:
- Deny your claim based on race, color, religion or national origin
- Treat you differently than other people in your rate or risk class without proving you are a greater risk
- Deny insurance or charge a higher premium based on a credit score
How can a lawyer to help you in dealing with insurance companies in a car accident case?
A serious car accident can result in significant injury and damages. Keep in mind that insurance companies look to their bottom lines and often try to settle for as little as possible. This is particularly true when you are dealing with the other driver’s insurance company. When an experienced lawyer speaks with the insurance company on your behalf, you have several advantages.
- Discernment regarding what information to provide
- Ability to level the playing field by dealing with the insurance companies’ legal teams that are involved with serious cases
- Knowledge of the fair value of accident cases
- The ability to negotiate a just settlement
- Skills in gathering evidence and witness testimony
- Extensive legal skills to protect your rights
Do you need legal help?
The Law Office of Michael R. De La Paz has represented clients throughout Texas including clients in Austin, San Antonio and other locations. Our firm also represents clients nationwide in Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and other states.
Arrange a free consultation to discuss your case.