An increase in construction or work zone traffic accidents
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) reported a substantial increase in vehicle accidents in construction or work zones in 2021. Understanding why these areas are vulnerable for accidents and how to prevent them could save lives.
What were the accident statistics for work zone crashes in 2021?
According to TxDOT, Texas work zone accident statistics in 2021 were as follows:
- More than 26,000 traffic crashes
- 856 injuries
- 244 fatalities
- 195 fatalities were drivers and vehicle passengers
- 38 pedestrians died
- 4 bicyclists died
- 3 roadside construction workers died
- Fatalities showed a 33% increase over the previous year
What are the main causes of vehicle accidents in construction or work zones?
TxDOT listed speeding and inattention as the main underlying causes of these accidents.
What precautions should drivers take to prevent work zone accidents?
Driving hazards often exist in work zones, including: concrete barriers, narrow lanes, slow-moving equipment and uneven pavement.
Following these guidelines can keep drivers and workers safe:
- Be prepared to make sudden stops
- Drive slowly, following posted speed limits and reduce speed as conditions warrant it
- Pay attention to the road and refrain from phone distractions
- Allow room between your vehicle and another. No tailgating. Most collisions occurring in work zones are rear-end collisions.
- Stay aware of road crews. Wearing hard hats, safety boots and reflective clothing are their only protections against vehicles.
- Be patient, allowing extra time. When possible plan ahead if you know you’ll be driving through a road construction area.
Do you need legal help with a serious vehicle accident injury?
Michael R. De La Paz has practiced personal injury law for several decades. While our firm handles cases nationwide in other states than Texas, such as Washington and Idaho, we also represent clients throughout Texas. Clients in Houston, South Padre Island and Corpus Christi also seek legal representatoin. Arrange a free consultation for legal help to evaluate your case.