Steps to take when in a car crash
If you’re injured in a car accident, it’s hard to think, much less to know what to do. Even so, if you’re able, there are actions you should to take to protect your rights.
Guidelines when injured in a car accident
Here are some of the actions you should take, if possible, when in a car accident.
- Stay at the accident scene. Leaving the accident scene in Texas can result in criminal charges. Offenses range from misdemeanor to felony. The extent of injury or damages would determine the charge.
- Deal with injuries. First check to see if you have suffered injury. Then check whether your passengers or the other driver and passengers were injured. Call 911 when serious injury has occurred. If you’re in doubt, it’s better to call 911. In addition, do not move anyone suffering from serious injuries unless they’re in danger. Examples of danger would be lying in the path of oncoming vehicles or subject to fire.
- Contact the police. If you haven’t called 911, then call the police. Typically a 911 call about an accident brings the police to the accident location. It’s a good idea to call the police even when the accident appears minor.
- Move your vehicles. With minor accidents when injuries aren’t serious, move your vehicles off the road. This helps prevent traffic jams and gives first responders access.
- Exchange insurance and contact info. You and the other drivers involved in the accident should exchange information: driver’s license numbers, car insurance details, phone numbers and addresses. Also get witnesses’ information if possible.
- Collect evidence. Collect as much information as you can. Information is helpful if you pursue a personal injury case. Information would include: general description, car model and make, car year and license plate number. Take pictures of vehicle damage, road conditions, injuries and skid marks if possible.
- Get medical attention. Sometimes people don’t realize they’ve suffered injury until after an accident. This is often true of whiplash. If there are any signs of injury, see a medical doctor.
Get legal help
If you suffer from serious injuries, it is wise to consult with an attorney. Hiring an experienced lawyer can help you protect your rights. The Law Office of Michael R. De La Paz takes cases where clients have suffered substantial injury through another party’s negligence. What’s more, we bring decades of experience to every case we handle. Our firm represents clients throughout Texas including clients in Houston, Laredo, San Antonio and other locations.
Arrange a free consultation to discuss your case.