Safety Tips for Drivers and Pedestrians
Pedestrian accidents tend to increase when more pedestrians and motorists are on the road. Typically, warmer weather during summer months leads to increased traffic and accidents.
The Texas Department of Transportation has implemented a pedestrian safety campaign based on the fact that in 2019, one out of five traffic fatalities were pedestrian deaths.
Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
The top four factors involved with Texas traffic accidents involving pedestrians are:
- Pedestrians failing to yield the right-of-way to motorists
- Drivers failing to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians
- Driver inattention
Why Are Pedestrians So Vulnerable in an Accident?
Unlike drivers and other motorists, pedestrians do not have the safety features that vehicles have to protect them. By comparison, bumpers, air bags and seat belts save drivers and passengers’ lives and protect against injuries.
What Can Drivers Do to Protect Pedestrians?
Safety tips for drivers include:
- Yielding the right-of-way to pedestrians, especially when making turns
- Stopping for pedestrians at crosswalks
- Watching for pedestrians when passing buses and other stopped vehicles
- Keep your eyes on the road and not on your phone or other distractions
What Can Pedestrians Do to Ensure Greater Safety for Themselves?
There are actions pedestrians can take to reduce the risk of accidents:
- Only cross the street at crosswalks or intersections
- Look left and right before crossing
- Obey traffic and crosswalk signals
- Whenever possible use a sidewalk and staff off the road
- If walking on the road face the traffic in the lane closest to you
- Stay attentive and do not use electronic devices while walking
Unfortunately, no matter how careful drivers and pedestrians are, accidents can still happen.
Get Legal Help
The Office of Michael R. De La Paz represents pedestrian accident victims statewide. Whether you live in Brownsville, Eagle Pass, Crystal City or some other location in Texas—we can help. Attorney Michael De La Paz has acquired decades of experience and is a successful personal injury lawyer. Initial consultations are free.