A variety of factors put teens at risk for driving accidents
Teenagers are at risk for car accidents more than any other age group. In this case, “teenagers” refer to teens between 16 and 19 years of age. In addition, male teenagers are the demographic at greatest risk.
Statistics related to teenage accidents
According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), the following statistics indicate the extent that teenagers are at risk for car accidents:
- Motor vehicle accidents are the second leading cause of death for teens in the U.S.
- Per mile driven, teen drivers are close to three times more likely to be in a fatal crash than drivers 20 years or older.
- Vehicle accident rates for males between 16-19 are almost twice the rate of females who are the same age.
- With each additional teen passenger riding in the car with a teen driver, the crash risk increases.
- During the first months of a teen getting a driver’s license, the crash risk is the greatest.
Common Reasons that Teenagers Are at Risk for Car Accidents
The following factors put teens at risk when driving:
- Lack of experience. The ability to recognize dangerous situations protects drivers against accidents. However, teens’ inexperience results in not seeing the danger and subsequent errors in judgement.
- Failure to use seat belts. Unfortunately, teenagers have the lowest seat belt use rates. Ironically, they are the ones who need them most. The statistics in 2019 for U.S. high school students not wearing seat belts as passengers were 43.1%.
- Distracted driving. Of U.S. high school students driving in 2019, 39% emailed or texted while driving at least one time during the period of 30 days before taking the survey.
- Teens are more prone to speeding and allow less distance between theirs and other cars.
- Drinking alcohol. A teen who is drinking and driving is more likely to be involved in a crash than older drivers with the same blood alcohol concentration.
Have You Been Injured in a Crash with a Teenage Driver?
From our San Antonio based office, Law Office of Michael R. De La Paz has successfully represented clients statewide in personal injury cases. Clients contact us from Arlington to Brownsville. Furthermore, we offer a free consultation to discuss your accident and evaluate whether legal grounds exist to pursue a case.